Morphing From 2d To 3d?

Symbolic

Hi,

I am trying to create an effect that converts a 2D image (texture) to a 3D object... it is like the reverse of melting...

Do you have any ideas on how this effect may be achieved?

I am thinking of things like BlendShapes, Lattice... things like that...

But it is very hard for me to find my orientation... anything will be a great great help...

any resources, examples, ideas...

Here is a simple result that I have achieved with the MELT.OTL... it is available at www.sidefx.com...

I have a 2D stencil in the all that has to be turned into a stencil style 3D object...

out_of_the_wall_test.mov

Hi,

I am trying to create an effect that converts a 2D image (texture) to a 3D object... it is like the reverse of melting...

After looking at your sample video:

I wouldn't choose *melting* as metaphor for this shot.

I'd rather see the fly climbing/folding out of the fall.

Like: first one wing, then one of the other, two legs, the head ... then the other legs ...

Remeber: flies like to shake themselfs like wet dogs and they love furbish themselfs.

If you insist on melting you should take a look at these TERMINATOR stuff where the bad guy melts and transforms.

Georg

For making a even more fluid motion to what rdg, I've done something close to that with animated group selections, soft transform and flex.

(sorry I don't have Houdini in front of me right now so I don't remember the exact names of the nodes)

For making a even more fluid motion to what rdg, I've done something close to that with animated group selections, soft transform and flex.

(sorry I don't have Houdini in front of me right now so I don't remember the exact names of the nodes)

Hi,

Thanks! Andz... can you be more specific about the tools used in your project...

...But I admit that the fly must be animated... like coming out of a hole...

I will try... but first I will have to figure out an engine... that will make the deformation...

You could do a "melt" sequence of your fly and then play it back in reverse. It will take some tweaking to get the right look you are going for, but it should be a fairly straightfoward apporach.

I have figured out that I have two options for now...

(1)

Use the "Melt" thing... and use it together with some "Lattice" deformation...

(2)

Wrap the entire model back into a simple shape... and then use BlendSahpe to unwrap it to its original state... and use a "Lattice" meanwhile...

the BlendShape seems to work nice... but it is a very laboreous process... editing each point on the model... It is not good for my carpal tunel :)

Hi,

Thanks! Andz... can you be more specific about the tools used in your project...

...But I admit that the fly must be animated... like coming out of a hole...

I will try... but first I will have to figure out an engine... that will make the deformation...

Take a look at the city file I posted for the CONTEST. It has some growing buildings. One of the tests I did was to use some soft body animation on them and it looked really cool too.