Reflection map only

Hi,

I'd like to render my objects with only the reflections coming from the reflection map, i don't want the objects reflecting themselves (no raytracing ). How can i achieve this ???

Thanks a lot

Edited by Div

I suck at rendering, but I think I managed to do something like that before with just using the VEX Metal SHOP. Set Ambient to 0, Diffuse to 0, Specular to 1, and point it at your reflection map. Something along those lines, your mileage will vary well I give advice on rendering. :)

• 8 years later...

i'd like to do exactly that. creating the reflection map works fine but here comes the noob question: where do i hook it up in houdini 13?the vex metal shop doesn't exist anymore and inside the mantra builder connecting the shiny metal node to the output does nothing.

EDIT: never mind, it just doesn't show up with the physically based mantras. so i guess there's no way to have that effect in combination with the physically based mantras?

EDIT2: it seems that in 15.5 the mantrasurface works fine even with mantra set to the classic micropoly with no physically correct stuff so that makes for a nice mix. the reflection map generation in 15.5 however doesn't work right unless it's working differently now compared to earlier versions.

Edited by foetz