stupid question regarding Fur and the tangent.otl

ranxerox

hey all, I recently dove into fur to try to put moss on some terrain in a shot. I've gone through the masterclass on fur and I modified the 'fur_style' shader to have a curl parameter (as described in the video). In order to produce the curl, the curves need tangents. I wasn't sure which tangent otl to use (there are 2 on the exchange: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...er&Itemid=8, and http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fi...p;versionid=90) I tried both, and it seems like the one from sidefx (http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=90&versionid=90) is the one I'm after (because it worked). So I got my scene to where I wanted it, and now it's time to render. The problem: when I load the scene in hbatch (to render on a single machine), I get the following errors:

Error loading: mossPatch4_v14.hip

Warning: Problem while synchronizing child node:

Warning: Skipping unrecognized parameter "isvector".

Skipping unrecognized parameter "isindexpair".

[/obj/ground_fur/clumps/tangent1/build_tangent/addattrib__tangent]

Warning: Skipping unrecognized parameter "isvector".

Skipping unrecognized parameter "isindexpair".

[/obj/ground_fur/clumps/tangent1/build_tangent/addattrib__radial]

Warning: Not enough elements found for parameter "Default".

Not enough elements found for parameter "Value".

[/obj/ground_fur/clumps/tangent1/attribcreate__ptprim]

[/obj/ground_fur/clumps/tangent1/attribcreate__tangent]

[/obj/ground_fur/clumps/tangent1/attribcreate__n_vtx1]

[/obj/ground_fur/clumps/tangent1/attribcreate__lvtx]

[/obj/ground_fur/clumps/tangent1/attribcreate__tangent_varmap]

the funny thing is, the scene renders fine and the curl appears to be working. My big problem is that when I put this on our render farm, this error causes the script doing the grind to fail (even though these seem more like warnings than error messages). So I tried to reinstall the otl in different ways (install in current hip file only, install to scanned otl directories). I'm afriad I'm missing something. I seem to alwyas get these errors. Unfortunately I don't know enough about how otls work to understand them.

does anybody have an idea ?

thanks

-ranxx

IIRC the tangent otl was made in a version of Houdini 8 that has some slight differences (in the VOP network) with the version you are probably using...

I know that Jeff Wagner did a new version ~april '08 if my old e-mails can be counted on...

I'd suggest rebuilding the otl in the Houdini version that you have running...there is nothing weird in there, just reproduce it in a new session and see if that helps...

nice, that worked thanks ! What I did was right-click on the tangent sop, 'allow editing of contents' and 'save operator type'. Now I don't get those warnings when I load the file.

happy july 4th

-ranxx

IIRC the tangent otl was made in a version of Houdini 8 that has some slight differences (in the VOP network) with the version you are probably using...

I know that Jeff Wagner did a new version ~april '08 if my old e-mails can be counted on...

I'd suggest rebuilding the otl in the Houdini version that you have running...there is nothing weird in there, just reproduce it in a new session and see if that helps...