Reflection Attenuation

Thank you very much for the file, that´s exactly the result what I was looking for.

But isn't there a way to achieve this result through VOP nodes without having to write a code? I am just asking that because I know very little about shading writing and I was wondering if I could do it myself without have to write any code.

Again I really appreciate the help that you gave me and I know that learning hoe to write would be part of the job, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Cheers!

Thank you very much for the file, that´s exactly the result what I was looking for.

But isn't there a way to achieve this result through VOP nodes without having to write a code? I am just asking that because I know very little about shading writing and I was wondering if I could do it myself without have to write any code.

Again I really appreciate the help that you gave me and I know that learning hoe to write would be part of the job, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Cheers!

same in vops.

hth.

petz

reflection_vops.hipnc

• Like 1

Thanks you very much, this will really help, though this one seems more complicated than the one with the inline code.

Can you give an advice where can I start to learn vex shader writing?

Again thanks for the help.

Hi, it's me again.

Isn't there a way to make this effect on the reflective material on houdini gallery? There I have all the things that I need I just need to add this effect, I tried to use your vops on it but I wasn't successful,I was thinking in a way just to modify the nodes before the reflect VOP inside the reflective material but my knowlege is limited to do it.

Anyway thanks for the help.

same in vops.

hth.

petz

Even being a newbie on making shaders, I did get to do what I wanted with your code even don't understanding all of it, using it to just modify the reflective material, so I would like to know what you think since you helped me to build it.

But if theres a better or simpler way to do it let me know.

Thanks again.

reflectiveAttenuation.hipnc

Even being a newbie on making shaders, I did get to do what I wanted with your code even don't understanding all of it, using it to just modify the reflective material, so I would like to know what you think since you helped me to build it.

But if theres a better or simpler way to do it let me know.

Thanks again.

in your example you are using gather() for measuring the raylength and the trace-vop for the reflection. since the trace-vop internally also uses gather() you force mantra to do the same job twice. to avoid this overhead you can do two things:

- replace the trace-vop completely by the gather-vop or use gather() inside an inline-vop for computing the reflection and raylength

- modify outer and inner code of voplib.h under $HH/vex/include and the trace-vop so that the raylength will be returned. but i would suggest to let the header files untouched exept you know exactly what you are doing.

assumed you don´t need glossy aka. blurry reflections it´s easy. rayhittest() or the rayhit-vop returns the raylength which you can use for the reflection-falloff.

hth.

petz

Edited by petz

- replace the trace-vop completely by the gather-vop or use gather() inside an inline-vop for computing the reflection and raylength

- modify outer and inner code of voplib.h under $HH/vex/include and the trace-vop so that the raylength will be returned.

If I just replace The Trace-Vop for the Gather-Vop will it do the trick? I am asking this because replacing codes it's too advanced for me at the moment.

But anyway thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I got it! :D

See what you think about my try to use trace vop and rayhit to add falloff to my reflection.

Now I got what you meant about the blurry reflections, with this technique I can´t use it, if I want it in conjunction with reflection falloff the gather vop is the only way right?

Since I am using the gather VOP I would like to add all the features that the trace vop has for reflections, so I didn't figure out how to put jitter and the backgound color options, any tips would be nice.

Anyway thanks again.

reflex_falloff_with_trace_vop.hipnc

Edited by Mzigaib

I think I got it! :D

See what you think about my try to use trace vop and rayhit to add falloff to my reflection.

Now I got what you meant about the blurry reflections, with this technique I can´t use it, if I want it in conjunction with reflection falloff the gather vop is the only way right?

Since I am using the gather VOP I would like to add all the features that the trace vop has for reflections, so I didn't figure out how to put jitter and the backgound color options, any tips would be nice.

Anyway thanks again.

you are on the right track! attached is a file with a modified trace-vop that should do what you want. its coded but it shouldn´t be too hard rebuilding it with vops.

btw. dont forget to load the otl

trace_refl_falloff.rar

Man I can´t thank enough for the help :lol:

Your otl would give me just what I want, what I need now it´s just to understand how it works for learning purposes.

My Code skills are still in the very beginning in fact until now I just worked with the Visual Vex which is awesome, I also need to study more about the gather VOP, which by what I saw that it can give you a great amount of freedom to build cool stuff with reflection rays maybe more.

Man, I really feel a little ashamed to ask but if isn't much trouble would be really great to have your OTL coded on VOPs. :rolleyes:

Anyway thank you very much for the help.