Hscript or python?

hello,

what do you think is better to learn as an experienced Houdini user?

i am more of an artist than a techy guy, but i still want to push my tech side further, as it is obvious that you can create crazy stuff if you know some script

what would be simpler and better on the long term

thank you for answering

FR3D

Just some thoughts:

It really depends on what you want to do!

Hscript is pretty powerful and fast, I think it's a bit faster than Python, but I'm not 100% sure. But again, it really depends on what you're trying to do! I don't think anyone can tell you which one is better, because each one of them have their own advantages and disadvantages!

Although if you don't have any programming background, python can be a little bit confusing!

• Downvote 1

Just some thoughts:

It really depends on what you want to do!

Hscript is pretty powerful and fast, I think it's a bit faster than Python, but I'm not 100% sure. But again, it really depends on what you're trying to do! I don't think anyone can tell you which one is better, because each one of them have their own advantages and disadvantages!

Although if you don't have any programming background, python can be a little bit confusing!

i use to do flash action script but it was 10 years ago, i am kind of far from it now.

i guess i will stick to hscript,houdini is aready kind of special, no need for more confusion.

One of the main reason i chose houdini is for the fact that the software require nothing more than itself...no plug in or 3rd party application(other than renderer).

thank you for answering ehsan :)

FR3D dont forget to check this tutorial about hscript, its very useful

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1500&Itemid=254

It's not hscript tutorial. Expressions and Hscript is different, although they share same syntax.

FR3D, expressions are "must to know", but i wouldn't recommend you to stick with hscript. Learn Python! Python is everywhere in CG. It's easy to learn, powerfull and very well integrated into houdini.