Is it possible to use pcgenerate to create output?

magneto

Hi,

Basically using it in a similar fashion to create a point cloud like Scatter, but without writing it to a pc file on disk, but evaluate the result dynamically like Scatter SOP does?

I tried pcwrite but it didn't work with the "op" syntax, instead of a file path on disk.

Also I couldn't see more info in the help card, but does this function generate the same points or is the randomization not controllable?

What are some of the practical uses of this function, particularly in SOPs?

I don't think pcwrite() works in SOPs. It deals with shading points created by Mantra. pcgenerate() however seems to be doing fine. The trick is that a point cloud is empty on creation. First thing to do is to fill up P variable by hand (with pcexport() inside pcunshaded()). After that you can call pcopen to import data. See example on page help.

• Like 1

Thanks Symek. So when the point cloud is generated but empty, I am supposed to set point positions? I thought the point cloud comes up with the positions.

After setting the positions and using pcexport, will the points be committed as the output of the vopsop?

After setting the positions and using pcexport, will the points be committed as the output of the vopsop?

Not really. You can't create a persistent geometry that way. Sorry, now I get what you meant, but that's not possible I'm afraid. Point cloud stays in its own cache, which has nothing to do with SOPs geometry.

• Like 1