No Python Libraries In Houdini?

geneome

I noticed that Houdini comes loaded with *most* of Python, but it is strangely missing the library (*.lib) files. In Python proper they are found in the "libs" folder. Some of python's built-in modules use them, and that's still the case with those that come with Houdini. I tried to add them myself by creating a "libs" folder in Houdini's python folder but they weren't recognized.

I'm correct in that they are not included right? Does anyone know why? More importantly, does anyone know how to add them to Houdini?

I noticed that Houdini comes loaded with *most* of Python, but it is strangely missing the library (*.lib) files. In Python proper they are found in the "libs" folder. Some of python's built-in modules use them, and that's still the case with those that come with Houdini. I tried to add them myself by creating a "libs" folder in Houdini's python folder but they weren't recognized.

I'm correct in that they are not included right? Does anyone know why? More importantly, does anyone know how to add them to Houdini?

Houdini should come with most but self sufficient part of Python. If there are some modules included that don't work because of missing *.libs there is most probably something wrong with a build or installation. Never heard about missing libs in Houdini's Python. I've never tried to add anything else but modules, but *.libs should be compiled with the same msvc as Houdini. Not sure if it's trivial. Definitely you shouldn't have this problem, so support or graham could help.

I think I figured out my problem. It wasn't the _ctypes.lib that's being called but the _ctypes.pyd. Houdini doesn't have it and neither does the 64-bit Python 2.5. So either I'll need to work on compiling my own 64-bit pyd for ctypes or go to 32 bit Houdini and copy the _ctypes.pyd from the 32-bit Python install and throw it in the ctypes folder (which worked). I thought I could take the 64-bit Python 2.6 _ctypes.pyd and use it but it's throwing an error because it's compiled with VC9.

Edited by geneome