neighbour VOP

MENOZ

hello.

In VOP network I've seen a neighbour and a neighbourCount node. I don't understand how they works. the help is not very clear.

This operator retrieves the index of the point which is the n-th connected neighbour of point “ptnum”. It returns -1 if “ptnum”, “neighbournum”, or “input_index” is out of range. The result of this operator can be fed into Import Attribute to retrieve more information about the connected point.

out of range.. wich range?

and:

“ptnum” should be the index of current point, something similar to the $PT variable i guess.. ?

“neighbournum” .. is that a range? I think this is point number wich is compared to "ptnum". (and i would add a constant number, that in expression should be similar to $PT+1 for example)

“input_index” I don't know what is this.

Another thing that I've read somewhere is that the points should be connected! so this shouldn't work on a scattered point cloud..?

can anybody help me please?

hello.

In VOP network I've seen a neighbour and a neighbourCount node. I don't understand how they works. the help is not very clear.

out of range.. wich range?

Out of range of neighbours number of a particular point. If point have 2 neighbor and you give "3" as an index, it's out of range ;)

and:

“ptnum” should be the index of current point, something similar to the $PT variable i guess.. ?

yes, it's a global ptnum for example, or any other point number.

“neighbournum” .. is that a range? I think this is point number which is compared to "ptnum". (and i would add a constant number, that in expression should be similar to $PT+1 for example)

“input_index” I don't know what is this.

For example: point (ptnum) 0: has 3 neighbors indexed as: 0,1,2. Neighbor 0 is a point number 32, neighbour 1 is a ptnum 12 etc. Neighbour VOP returns to you ptnum of a specific neighbour for a point you specified. You choose the index of a neighbor (not his ptnum), and you get its ptnum. Then with a help of importVOP you can get any attribute from that neighbor. Is it clear now? I've never were particularly good at explaining things :unsure:

Another thing that I've read somewhere is that the points should be connected! so this shouldn't work on a scattered point cloud..?

can anybody help me please?

Nope,neighbour is a point connected with edge to a current point. This VOP doesn't work for point clouds.

Edited by SYmek

For example: point (ptnum) 0: has 3 neighbors indexed as: 0,1,2. Neighbor 0 is a point number 32, neighbour 1 is a ptnum 12 etc. Neighbour VOP returns to you ptnum of a specific neighbour for a point you specified. You choose the index of a neighbor (not his ptnum), and you get its ptnum. Then with a help of importVOP you can get any attribute from that neighbor. Is it clear now? I've never were particularly good at explaining things :unsure:

Neighbour points are the points directly connected with a particular point with an edge? if i have a mesh, the neighbours of my point are only the first points around it that are directly connected to it? or can I have more edges between the point and his neighbours?

for example: I have a cube. the neighbours of my point are 3.

it is correct?

Yes i know about import attribute ;)

anyways I have to think of how to use this node: if index and npoints are "disconnected" the only way i see is to use those indexes is in a loop or something like that.. I'll see.

thank you!!