render volumes

imoh3n

hi, a strange question :blink: , i want to render volumes like surface.

for instance i want render my smoke like water, a hard surface with reflection and refraction.

i hope if anyone can help me, thanks.

Edited by imoh3n

Hmm, you could try to import the volume (density/Visualization) into SOPs, scatter points in it and use a Particle Fluid Surface SOP to surface it? Just tested it on a standard smoke setup, and it seems to work fine :) If you need more control, or if you continuous emission of smoke, you could try to advect particles through the volume and surface these the same way.  

Edited by Ole

thanks OLE, but i have a problem with Particle Fluid Surface SOP, it doesn't give me smoothly surface with nice details, if i use filtering, details gone.

and i think scatter point for this work doesn't work very well, they don't give me the true shape of smoke.

i hope if anyone can help me, thanks.

Hey ya'll. You can run your density field thru a Volume SDF SOP to generate an SDF from your density field. You can then turn that into a surface using the ISO Offset SOP in Iso Surface/Volume Sample mode, or with the Convert SOP. In the Volume SDF SOP, you can specify at what density threshold the new isocontour is created.

gl dude

post-4364-125589625209_thumb.jpg

post-4364-125589627934_thumb.jpg