Bake gi/occlution to fur

Hello

Im trying to bake ambient occlution data into my fur. But i have no idea how to aproach it, and whats the best solution.

Im thinking that using pointclouds is the way to go, but how can i make the pointcloud follow a deforming character with fur?

Another way is to bake it to two different maps and use it as tip color and base color on the fur. But how can i bake these maps out?

Anyone got any ideas?

Hello

Im trying to bake ambient occlution data into my fur. But i have no idea how to aproach it, and whats the best solution.

Im thinking that using pointclouds is the way to go, but how can i make the pointcloud follow a deforming character with fur?

Another way is to bake it to two different maps and use it as tip color and base color on the fur. But how can i bake these maps out?

Anyone got any ideas?

Something we've done in the past with our feathers is to just fake it by using a black to white gradient along the length of the geo, in this case each fur/hair. Pretty straightforward and fast solution, but you may run into some walls depending how detailed you need to go.

furOcclHack_001.hip

Something we've done in the past with our feathers is to just fake it by using a black to white gradient along the length of the geo, in this case each fur/hair. Pretty straightforward and fast solution, but you may run into some walls depending how detailed you need to go.

forgot to add the img

post-675-125789571696_thumb.jpg

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

I would bake the skin occ into an image and mult that with the root to tip fake occlusion that spencer suggested. There's a starter hip by Allegro on the exchange:Allegros's Occ bake starter scene

Or, you ould try Simon's excellent Occlusion Sop which you can fin on the exchange here: Simon's Occlusion Sop