Best way to get blobal illumination in this situation

Rvb

Hi all!

I'm working on a small personal project to get familiar with the render capabilities of Mantra. I know how to get Irradiance and Ambient Occlusion. But working on the project i stumbled on a problem.

Given:

Camera in a room

Room has one window

Outside that window I have a Arealight acting like a sun.

When I render with (for example) PBR the light from the sun strikes down true the window on the floor. But the rest of the room stays way to dark! How can I resolve this? I see some sort of occlusion but I would like to get the room nice and lid up :).

Hope you guys can help me out!

Rogier

Turning up the diffuse limit on the PBR tab should make more light bounce around the room making it lighter.

Julian

Thanks for the replay, but it's not working. It gets lighter if I set it to 3, but more bounces wont help :(. When I get home I will upload the scene :).

Rogier

Thanks for the replay, but it's not working. It gets lighter if I set it to 3, but more bounces wont help :(. When I get home I will upload the scene :).

Rogier

Lighting is only generally "correct" when viewed in 2.2 gamma. This is true for any renderer.

Look for Linear Workflow links, there's loads of info on the subject.

Lighting is only generally "correct" when viewed in 2.2 gamma. This is true for any renderer.

Look for Linear Workflow links, there's loads of info on the subject.

What I was gonna say but was too lazy to type up. Here's even a thread with the same situation.

Basically your mplay and compositor (as well as your color swatches) should be set to a gamma of 2.2.

Edit > Color Settings:

post-37-125806597467_thumb.png

Even if you're not rendering with GI this is still the way to go. Like Serg said, read up on "linear workflow". That should shed some light on it (delicious puns).

Edited by DaJuice

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops, I totally forgot to reply!

Thanks for the replies, it's working property! Just to clarify: Are there two ways to get light bounces or irradiance?

Using PBR (what sample rates do you guys use for high quality renders?), 16x16 is already taking forever to render :(

Using Vex Global Illumination set to Irradiance, right?

- Is it possible to change te limit the light bounces with VGI?

In regard to the PBR part of your question, itis far better to use the min ray samples to remove graininess. Using pixel samples your probably going to be looking at a relatively large number (20+) to get good results. It's far better control the sampling using the min ray samples, and then set the pixel samples to 3x3.

There is a nice chart on the subject, which shoes the difference between the to two. here

In regard to the PBR part of your question, itis far better to use the min ray samples to remove graininess. Using pixel samples your probably going to be looking at a relatively large number (20+) to get good results. It's far better control the sampling using the min ray samples, and then set the pixel samples to 3x3.

There is a nice chart on the subject, which shoes the difference between the to two. here

Awesome post! Thanks a lot :D