Fluid velocity

JaydenDP

First, you need to "attach" your particles to your smoke obj. To do this, create s SOP Geometry DOP and in the sop path, point to your particles. For time, set it to $T and the set it to "Set Always" so that it reads in each frame. Give this data a unique name in the "Data Name" parameter, such as "particles". Wire this SOP Geometry DOP into your smoke solver.

Second, create a Gas Particle To Field DOP. Set the Destination field to "vel", as thats what you want to affect. Set the Particles to your new unique data you called in the SOP Geometry DOP, in this case, "particles". Wire this DOP into the 2nd input of you Smoke Solver.

HTH

Hmm, nope. Still not working for me. I have used the SOP Geometry to call in my particle, but does anything need to go into the inputs of the SOP GEO node?, and also not entirely sure where it should plug into the smoke solver (i'm using the pyro solver with 5 inputs or something).

I also used the particle to field microsolver to call up the "particles" data name from the SOP GEO, but again, the inputs to the smoke solver are odd and any way i try to do it, there's just no response, i.e. the fluids just do what they do without any velocity advection. Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again

Jay

Hmm, nope. Still not working for me. I have used the SOP Geometry to call in my particle, but does anything need to go into the inputs of the SOP GEO node?, and also not entirely sure where it should plug into the smoke solver (i'm using the pyro solver with 5 inputs or something).

I also used the particle to field microsolver to call up the "particles" data name from the SOP GEO, but again, the inputs to the smoke solver are odd and any way i try to do it, there's just no response, i.e. the fluids just do what they do without any velocity advection. Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again

Jay

Ah, you need to feed your smoke/pyro obj into the first input of the SOP Geometry DOP. This attaches your "particle" data to your pyro obj. The Gas Particle to Field DOP needs to go in the input "Velocity Adjustment". I think its the 3rd input on the pyro solver. If you middle mouse button over the different inputs, it tells you what each is responsible for. I havent tried this with the pyro solver, but I would think it should be the same. Let me know if this doesnt work.

Edited by SpencerL

Ah, you need to feed your smoke/pyro obj into the first input of the SOP Geometry DOP. This attaches your "particle" data to your pyro obj. The Gas Particle to Field DOP needs to go in the input "Velocity Adjustment". I think its the 3rd input on the pyro solver. If you middle mouse button over the different inputs, it tells you what each is responsible for. I havent tried this with the pyro solver, but I would think it should be the same. Let me know if this doesnt work.

Yeah, thought that was going to work but I tried it and still no luck, no response from the fluids at all :( (pyro container goes into SOP GEO, which goes into first input of pyro solver. and particle to field goes into velocity adjust input)

Should I be able to see the particles in the DOP if I choose to display the SOP GEO? maybe I'm doing all the calling wrong.....

Thank for the quick responses by the way

Jay

Yeah, thought that was going to work but I tried it and still no luck, no response from the fluids at all :( (pyro container goes into SOP GEO, which goes into first input of pyro solver. and particle to field goes into velocity adjust input)

Should I be able to see the particles in the DOP if I choose to display the SOP GEO? maybe I'm doing all the calling wrong.....

Thank for the quick responses by the way

Jay

i just attached a simple setup...have a look. If you turn on your Velocity Visualization you can see its effect.

directSmokeWithPops_001sl.hip

cool thanks. Will take a look when i get into work 2moro.

Cheers

Jay

Also, after looking over my file, i forgot to mention that you need to put "v" in the Attributes on the Gas Particle to Field DOP...useful bit of info I left out, sorry. :rolleyes:

Also, after looking over my file, i forgot to mention that you need to put "v" in the Attributes on the Gas Particle to Field DOP...useful bit of info I left out, sorry. :rolleyes:

IT WORKS! Thanks man, I was missing the 'v' yeah and then it still was'nt working, so when i cross referenced the files, I was missing 'set always' in just one of the places.

Thanks for the help.

Jay