Using a line of points as Arrays..

using a line of points as an array to store data..

Quite some time back I came upon this topic or I must have heard it somewhere (cant remember distinctly)..

So today I started with its implementation..

I know this is not something new but has anyone given it a try??

If we are storing some data that means there should also be way to retrieve it if need be..Using the Point numbers as indices, we can keep track of it..thats the solution I came up with..

SO the question arises: Can we store some data on one particular point....for instance point no (or index no) 5?? (I want to make it into a tool or an asset..so would it be possible to make it flexible enough to do stuff interactively?)

As for retrieving we can use the Point expression which takes up the point number and the Attribute as an argument..

We could add the needed point in group and then use an AttribCreate sop with this point group..but the attribute is created for all..only the point in the specified group receives a Valid value and others are defaulted to 0.

Is there any better way to achieve this task??

Also could anyone tell me if I have a valid approach in this subject or not and push me to the right direction?

Thanks a lot :)

Edited by bhaveshpandey

hey Carsten thanks a lot for the link....I was under the impression that Arrays are not supported..

I recently started dabbling in VEX so it will be a bit difficult for me to implement it in VEX..I was hoping for a solution in VOPs which could be a bit interactive..

annyways I will try to work with the info in the link..In the mean time if some one could guide me regarding the same but in VOPs??

thanks

you don't necessarily need to do in in vex, its also bound to python (so you could do it in a python sop etc)

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/hom/hou/Geometry#addAttrib

another option might be to use the individual samples of a channel in chops as your array (which gives you direct access to lots of direct manipulation of your array data)

cheers

hey Carsten thanks a lot for the link....I was under the impression that Arrays are not supported..

I recently started dabbling in VEX so it will be a bit difficult for me to implement it in VEX..I was hoping for a solution in VOPs which could be a bit interactive..

annyways I will try to work with the info in the link..In the mean time if some one could guide me regarding the same but in VOPs??

thanks