RBD Dice throw

Samuel Blain

Hi there,

im fairly new to Houdini and i'm currently trying to create a basic dice throw animation.

so far i have a very basic RBD setup with 2 RDB object cubes falling and bouncing against a ground plane.

However, I want the dice to move horizontally while decelerating before eventually rolling and bouncing to a stand still. I thought this would have something to do with the initial force however once applied the dice just kept rolling along the X axis.

Thanks Everyone, Sam

why don't you simply give your boxes an initial velocity if I understand you correctly ?!

I thought this would have something to do with the initial force however once applied the dice just kept rolling along the X axis.

This is the part I didn't get.

Maybe confusing angular velocity with velocity?

Hi there ,

first of all I just have a bit of time here at work so I thaught maybe atleast I could give you some advice.

It seems that if it is sliding, well maybe you have no friction . Not sure because you have not upload any hipnc.

Anyway here you have the basic hipnc. However if you really want to control RBD you better get your hands on the GNOMON Houdini Rigid Body Dynamics . I am not to sure if there are any other tutorials avalable. There Is alot of documentation that you can read in the houdini examples.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=611&Itemid=132

If not you will always have some type of issue. Its really important to know the basics,

Take care and good luck

mangi

dice.hip

dice.mov

wow, what an AMAZING response! cheers guys!

turns out you were indeed correct to used the velocity in the initial state. however, i used an initial force node instead.

but after a look at mangi's hip file i soon realised my error. ill be sure to look into GNOMON tho :D

im looking to do the shot in slow-motion, i'm guessing just changing all the force values (gravity, velocity etc) would be to go with this, am i correct!?!?!

thanks again everyone :D

:D cool.... ive set both the min and max substeps to 10 (im assuming that would slow things down by 10) and it has allowed me to export the file, i'm using maya however i cannot find any of the animation data anywhere :S

i would have thought the animation would be baked and accessible via the graph editor. Apologies, i no this is really a maya question im asking now :o

:D cool.... ive set both the min and max substeps to 10 (im assuming that would slow things down by 10) and it has allowed me to export the file, i'm using maya however i cannot find any of the animation data anywhere :S

i would have thought the animation would be baked and accessible via the graph editor. Apologies, i no this is really a maya question im asking now :o

It should be deforming geo in maya (like it is in Houdini, the anim is not in the transform). No idea how you would retime that ..... ?

hmmm..... maya appears to import a cache file containing the animation info which you cannot access :(

i've opened a new topic for this as its a whole different question as to the orginal post..... many thanks sam.h and mangl :D

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/10456-animation-retiming-for-slow-motion/