Filling an object with particles and shattering it

human

Hi folks, hopefully a simple question:

I want to fill an object (preferably a sphere) with particles. I want to be able to drop the sphere, shatter it, and have the particles inside explode outwards. Been at it for a while and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

HIP file attached

particleBreak004.hipnc

Thanks!

edit-

I should add, my current technique is to create a sphere, shatter it, and convert it to an RBD. Then I emit particles from the shattered sphere.

One of my biggest problems is the emitted particles are escaping the sphere before it shatters.

Any suggestions on a better approach are appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by human

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, hopefully a simple question:

I want to fill an object (preferably a sphere) with particles. I want to be able to drop the sphere, shatter it, and have the particles inside explode outwards. Been at it for a while and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

HIP file attached

particleBreak004.hipnc

Thanks!

edit-

I should add, my current technique is to create a sphere, shatter it, and convert it to an RBD. Then I emit particles from the shattered sphere.

One of my biggest problems is the emitted particles are escaping the sphere before it shatters.

Any suggestions on a better approach are appreciated. Thanks.

i had the same problem once and i believe it has to do with the "thickness" of the poly faces of the sphere... polys are basically infinity thin, and they are used to hitting the front face of an object that is part of a larger mesh like a box... so when the particles group up inside of your sphere there is only the single poly and the comp just lets it slide through because it doesn't know there is something there... this is going to sound a little ridiculous, but try extruding the sphere inward so you have an inner wall... i am not home so i cannot check it right now, but it just might work... otherwise this is kind of a ghetto fix, but try grouping the particles inside the sphere by using a Group SOP, swith it to bounding object and feed in the sphere as the object... then simply delete all objects not selected by the group...

hope this helps

Glenn