how would you do this effect?

skydave

Hi,

how would you do the effect you see here? I am curious how you guys would tackle this...

http://www.youtube.c...popular#t=0m30s

Cheers,

David

I bet this was done by hand by some crazy Max artists animating cloth-like mesh but, we don't want to do that, don't we?

1) Create a models. Match them to a plate (rotoscope), animate these two, scatter a bunch of point on a surfaces of both, birth particles that travel from source to target constantly (and die on collision matching its target points). Mesh these particles, Use chops for second motion effects.

2) Create a particle stream as above, but use them as a deformer for one of the mesh, so one can morph into another after beeing translated aside. There is an example in a Cloth Master Class of how to create a point cloud based deformer, which allows you to deform/morph arbitrary shape into another with particles. Imagine a cloud of bees that seat on one character, then move on a exect spot of another one. These particles can deform any mesh.

good luck!

skk.

• Like 1

I bet this was done by hand by some crazy Max artists animating cloth-like mesh but, we don't want to do that, don't we?

1) Create a models. Match them to a plate (rotoscope), animate these two, scatter a bunch of point on a surfaces of both, birth particles that travel from source to target constantly (and die on collision matching its target points). Mesh these particles, Use chops for second motion effects.

2) Create a particle stream as above, but use them as a deformer for one of the mesh, so one can morph into another after beeing translated aside. There is an example in a Cloth Master Class of how to create a point cloud based deformer, which allows you to deform/morph arbitrary shape into another with particles. Imagine a cloud of bees that seat on one character, then move on a exect spot of another one. These particles can deform any mesh.

good luck!

skk.

Hey SYmek,

thanks alot for your ideas. I have 2 questions:

-mesh particles: do you mean metaballs?

-do you have a link to that "Cloth Master Class" you were refering to? Or any more details on the "particles deform a mesh" thing?

Thanks,

David

-mesh particles: do you mean metaballs?

Modern approach implies Particles Fluid Surface SOP or PointCloudIso SOP.

-do you have a link to that "Cloth Master Class" you were refering to? Or any more details on the "particles deform a mesh" thing?

If I'm not wrong, look for it in a scenes files from this course.

cheers,

skk.

• Like 1