detect if primitive is in field of view - how to ?

nmn

Hi everyone,

is there a way to detect if a primitive is seen by certain camera (in SOPs) ?

one way could be by using a virtual pyramid (representing the field of view) maybe ? then checking if the primitive is inside ?

but i feel this could be very non efficient ...

any light shed on this subject would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance

Cheers

lol thanks rdg, i discovered that and then i came back to put it and saw that you beat me

thanks anyway for the help, if there are any other methods i would like to know also :)

Cheers

Edited by nmn

The way Massive does it is by rendering a low resolution image and doing analysis of the pixels. That way you get obstruction as well (object behind a wall, but within frustrum), but it is more costly than "hearing", which is a spherical distance calculation. I think if I remember correctly that you can open a pointcloud and also specify a direction with it. So rather than a spherical lookup, you will get a cone. But I have not used the pcopen vex function in this way.

Not sure how to exactly go about a feedback loop that would include and analyze rendered images "as you go". My knowledge of cops is not extensive enough. In dops & sops it would be possible with a ray sop and a grid. Each point on the grid would represent a pixel. This grid is parented to the camera (and would be similar to a front clipping plane), the raydirection would be from the camera to each point on the grid and then into the scene. You would probably also need a maximum distance or add a far clipping plane. You can probably speed the whole thing up in a vopsop.

What you then do with the resulting grid is up to you. Massive uses analysis of bright colors to analyze friend (eg. green ) or foe (eg.red) and how much pixels or green or red, left, right or center and how to blend ramps which control behaviour based on the amount of pixels.

I would check the point cloud technique first as it will probably be fast (multithreaded).

Thanks Peter for the information about the different approaches , very helpfull

i think I will stick with the UV approach for now, it is sufficient for what i need

but it was very good to see the different possible ways to handle such a thing.

Thanks again

Regards