Want to create Debris

Omy

Hello everybody,

We are making a war scene.We are primarily making use of houdini.Could anyone tell how to create debris of building pieces lying in the ground.We are planning to make it scattered and as a digital asset.We would be using these debris pieces so that a war scene kinda mood is achieved

As of now i have thought to use fracture a box or a sphere and make it collide and fall and after it gets to a rested position.I am planning to apply initial states..

Is that a better idea to achieve that.Also tell me whether can i change the pieces of the crack after in the digital asset,

Many thanks

Realistically, the computation time to simulate this in DOPs would be far too great unless you are using ODE or Bullet.

I recommend using a copy stamp function with randomized rotation scale and translate. I doubt that you will notice if any pieces are intersecting with that many pieces on the ground, and if there is a certain piece that is bugging you, you can always delete the point or move it.

You can perform an isooffset to get a fog volume from some kind of cone or hemisphere geometry, then scatter points inside and copy stamp your geometry to those points. You could also look into creating proxy geo for that copied geometry and use delayed read to read the higher resolution geo at render time.