L-System Uvs

LaidlawFX

So I spent the better part of a day smacking my head with laying out slightly better UVs on an L-System than with the polywire. I guess it's kind of relative whether it worked out better, or not based on what it gets used for. My method slides while growing, and the control-ability is do to scaling based on inverted point numbers, not $WIDTH, which I tried to get to work most of the day based from the procedural road system tutorial, but no dice. The system I believe should be able to work better, but I got stumped and I'm putting it on the shelf here encase somebody else runs down this road.

The metaball version was here

LsystemUVs.hip

I'm interested in this too. Do you want the UV to be static, or scale with the plant?

If it is static, I thought one way of doing it would be to create the uvw coordinates manually (with an attribute-create) and calculate it's value with something like

$TX / size_of_a_custom_bounding_box * repeat_parameter

but somehow it doesn't take into the account the w dimension. I wonder why, since it's there by default in the detail pane whenever we create a uv map.

Edited by Macha

I'm interested in this too. Do you want the UV to be static, or scale with the plant?

If it is static, I thought one way of doing it would be to create the uvw coordinates manually (with an attribute-create) and calculate it's value with something like

$TX / size_of_a_custom_bounding_box * repeat_parameter

but somehow it doesn't take into the account the w dimension. I wonder why, since it's there by default in the detail pane whenever we create a uv map.

Preferably grow with the plant, kind of like the poly wire, though there is a little natural sliding in a real plant with growth when it stretches and scales.... so some error would be ?nice?

one of the mods to the script i posted was inserting this if then statement into the sweep(thanks Rich), with references to the base and tip thickness you have a-lot more control-ability. The script below was implemented into the sweep inside an .otl, because you can't extract the sweep parameter at a higher level and still have access to the point numbers. In a sense it makes the artist life easier.

if((($PT*(ch("../Base_Thickness5")))<=(ch("../Tip_Thickness5"))),(ch("../Tip_Thickness5")),($PT*(ch("../Base_Thickness5"))))

if((($PT*.2)<=.8),.8,($PT*.2))