Sprites - control shader alpha from pops

I have a particle sim that is using sprites to create a rising dust look. The problem Im having is controlling the alpha of each sprite. I want the alpha to fade out as the particles die. Currently Im getting a popping effect as each particle dies. no alpha transition = not good.

In the popnet I have a color pop controlling alpha with lookup to $LIFE. I've tried bringing that alpha back to SOPS with attrib create, name: Alpha, value: $CA. Then below that attrib create I have an attribute SOP that changes Alpha to alpha. ('alpha' is the name of the alpha channel in my shader). I also tried just using the attribute SOP (no attrib create above) to convert the names.

The problem (I think), is that I'm not appending a material in SOPS, (I put the material in at OBJ level under the material tab) and so changing the name with the attribute SOP in SOPS doesnt do anything.

Basically Im just trying to get the alpha value in the color POP to control the alpha channel in my shader. Does anyone have advice for accomplishing this? Thanks

I have a particle sim that is using sprites to create a rising dust look. The problem Im having is controlling the alpha of each sprite. I want the alpha to fade out as the particles die. Currently Im getting a popping effect as each particle dies. no alpha transition = not good.

In the popnet I have a color pop controlling alpha with lookup to $LIFE. I've tried bringing that alpha back to SOPS with attrib create, name: Alpha, value: $CA. Then below that attrib create I have an attribute SOP that changes Alpha to alpha. ('alpha' is the name of the alpha channel in my shader). I also tried just using the attribute SOP (no attrib create above) to convert the names.

The problem (I think), is that I'm not appending a material in SOPS, (I put the material in at OBJ level under the material tab) and so changing the name with the attribute SOP in SOPS doesnt do anything.

Basically Im just trying to get the alpha value in the color POP to control the alpha channel in my shader. Does anyone have advice for accomplishing this? Thanks

you shouldnt need to mess with alpha in SOPs after its assigned in POPs, color POP is enough. Your Shader should pick it up as long as its calling "Alpha". Also, make sure on your sprite procedural you are passing in "Alpha". If you are using the default sprite shader, then all that stuff is there for you.