Outputing Points from a Vex SOP

MirrorSword

For a school project I'm trying to create a system where points have a transformation applied to them multiple times each time creating a copy of the point at its current position. I've implemented this in a python sop but I was hoping to create a VEX implementation for increased speed. I can get VEX to repeat a transformation multiple times but there doesn't seem to be a way to copy the points. I tried to use pcwrite to export the points but contrary to the documentation that does not work in the SOP context. This may be because I'm using Houdini 10.0.430. Is there anyway I can get this kind of iterated point creation to work in VEX or should I just stick with python?

For a school project I'm trying to create a system where points have a transformation applied to them multiple times each time creating a copy of the point at its current position. I've implemented this in a python sop but I was hoping to create a VEX implementation for increased speed. I can get VEX to repeat a transformation multiple times but there doesn't seem to be a way to copy the points. I tried to use pcwrite to export the points but contrary to the documentation that does not work in the SOP context. This may be because I'm using Houdini 10.0.430. Is there anyway I can get this kind of iterated point creation to work in VEX or should I just stick with python?

VEX is no way to go this time. It can't create geometry (only process it), moreover sops are not a good land for recurrency so to speak. It can be done with Feedback SOP (in proto install) or a sop sover setup like the one nicly wrapped here, but these are workarounds and usually don't work fast. It might be that PythonSOP is pretty good choice for your goal.

You could let sesi know about misleading help on pcwrite() though...

cheers,

skk.

Depending on what you want to do, you may be able to compute how many points you would need to generate and add them in SOP before entering VEX, and then in VEX give the needed position to those "unused" points.