Js Wip Thread

J.Santos

Guest Swann

My desktop decided to enter in vacations... he refuses to start... I already took it to a repair shop... let's wait and see...

Nice excuse... I should have though about that... :))

Ahahahaha!

Nice one swann... you're quoting me out of context but it does makes sense!

But I'm afraid it isn't an excuse... it's more an power supply matter (in my opinion, let's see what the techs say)...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

After some computer headaches and some forced stops due to other reasons...

Here I am again, with my first uv's in Houdini! I had to remake them once and it was a slow start, but now I'm a bit more confident and starting to work better with the tools available... or so I think ;)

Here's the image... I could have used better the UV Space but since I don't have much objects... I kind of abused the space and location of stuff.

Now onto the turret itself...

ammoBox.jpg

Looks good so far

please could you tell me what is your workflow on UVs? I modeled a lot of hardsurface models in maya and UVs is always time confusing an boring. I used mainly automatic mapping and then move and sew i dont know If you know this tool. It is that You select one edge, corresponding edge on other UV peace will select too and click move an sew and peaces stitches together without deformations(because automatic mapping keeps UVs blocks without deformation), one peace jump next to other automatically. I cant find anything like this in houdini. What is your workflow? Thanks a lot.

Hi!

Thanks for the compliment!

I was a Max user so I don't know that tool, but you explained it and I got a good idea of it.

UV's are always time consuming and even boring because you end up repeating yourself...

I don't know if my workflow is any good... I'm having some problems because I modelled in a (sort of) low poly and then, at render time, it goes to high poly... this is ruining my UV's. I'll have to do them in high poly or something, in order to correct it!

But what I do is this:

I enter at the object level (in this case in the ammo box) and, again in this case, at the end of the network I use a UV Unwrap (best for box like objects).

Then comes the sort of tedious work of selecting a piece of the UV's, see who is the neighbour (if you select an edge, the other neighbour edges will be highlighted, same goes for verts... you'll also notice that if you have points active in the display, the neighbouring points will be in a lighter blue).

Then I just move then close one another (with uv edit or uv transform) and use uv fuse (in one of its variants).

But if you haven't checked before, take a look at the videos on Side Effects site and the ones on Peter Quint Vimeo channel about uv's. They're great and can help you!

• 3 months later...

Hi guys!

Sorry for this long hiatus, but I changed country and lifestyle... I'm now in England, attending the MA Digital Effects at Bournemouth and having an handful of work...

As soon as I get something to show I'll post it here... I'm just finishing rendering and starting the compositing...

See ya!

• 4 weeks later...