Is is a bug ?

Guest Swann

Guest Swann

Hey,

I have a parameter X that has it's range locked between -2 and 2. This X parm drives TX of a null called NULL_A. And the current value of this parameter is drived by position of another null called NULL_B. If now I change position of NULL_B to 4 position of NULL_A also changes to 4 while it shouldn't because it's drived by parmameter X that is locked to 2.

Somebody can confirm this ?

example.hipnc

yes, it's behaving that way

it's kind of unexpected and confusing and therefore can be considered as a bug

i have read somewhere a warning, that if you use locked parameters (e.g. -2,2) and set the value to out of range value (e.g. 4) then it will remember 4 but show 2, but if you then change limit range to -10,10 or unlock, then it will show 4

i have not understand why, i guess it was confusing then too

but your problem is much more serious and you should submit it

Guest Swann

It looks that it is not a bug.

From SideFX:

The range parameter only specifies the range for the slider in the interface, not the internal value of a parameter.

It will prevent you from manually entering values outside the range through the UI, but it will not limit the evaluation of an expression.

If you wish to limit the range of this parameter when referencing other channel, try entering:

clamp(ch("../NULL_B/ty"), -2, 2)

Good to know for future. Helps to not be suprised when something in your asset is not working as expected.

Edited by SWANN

yes, clamp() is logical way to do it if you know that locking don't work,

but the fact that locking parameter range works only for UI still makes the whole thing confusing at least for regular users and TDs who have not experienced this yet.

but more confusing is that if it works that way then why if you put $FF instead of ch("../NULL_B/ty") to the same parameter it gets clamped?

so if it's not a bug then can somebody at least logically explain what expressions are clamped and what aren't (and WHY would also help)