Two-Way Displacement Mapping

DJ_Boxer

I have a problem with regards to Displacement Mapping: I want to say take a Box and lets say that I want to put displaced text on there where "In" is displaced down while directly under that is "Out" where it is displaced out on all sides. How would I create the texture in GIMP to do this?

DJ

you can create texture where background is 50% grey "IN" is black "OUT" is white

notice that many pre-built displaceent materials offers different modes of displace direction, just choose default (up & down: gray = no displace)

if you are building your own shader

then after you import texture in SHOPs just use Fit Range VOP from 0-1 to -1,1 range then you can use it for displacement

if you are working with floating point image you can do all this in your image editor, just make background 0 "IN" -1 "OUT" 1

it will not be looking good as an image since most viewers displays only 8-bit, but it will work for displacements perfectly

If you are using any of the Materials that have Displacements in Houdini, you will have options as to how the gray scale values drive the displacements.

The default is black = negative displace, gray 0.5 = no displace, white = positive displace.

So flood your displacement image with 0.5 gray first then paint to black for inwards displacements and paint to white for outwards displacements.

Hope that helps.