how to render Houdini Fur using 3Delight?

kensonuken

I would like to use 3delight in Houdini but at the same time I would like to render fur using 3delight? is there any possibility?

Sure it's possible, but you will need to write your own procedural DSO that can create fur based on guide curves.

I haven't tried this myself so I'm not sure what references there may be for such a task.

good luck

-edit: Sorry, I don't mean to insinuate that you "must" create a DSO, as you can certainly render curves as fur with 3Delight without one. I was more pointing out the difference between rendering Fur with Mantra and a 3rd party rendering engine is the lack of a procedural DSO.

Edited by Alanw

you can bake it in bgeo format and reread it for rendering with 3delight...of course you will probably have to write a new shader for it...

Sure it's possible, but you will need to write your own procedural DSO that can create fur based on guide curves.

I haven't tried this myself so I'm not sure what references there may be for such a task.

good luck

-edit: Sorry, I don't mean to insinuate that you "must" create a DSO, as you can certainly render curves as fur with 3Delight without one. I was more pointing out the difference between rendering Fur with Mantra and a 3rd party rendering engine is the lack of a procedural DSO.

is it possible just to replace the surface shader which will be generated in the fur node with the one which comes with 3delight? since we are just using the shader for only display generation right... does hitting the button generates the hair strands?