Problems installing HOT 10.0.528 to 32 bit Linux

Ponge

Hey guys, I know you get a lot of these questions but I've been back through all the similar posts on installing the HOT and can't seem to find a similar problem.

I've followed the instructions and successfully compiled the sample Star file and the src/3rdparty files, then tried both "python setup.py bdist" and "hyton setup.py bdist". It gives me a zipped file which I then extracted into the following folder:

/nccamade/i7977054/HOT/hotbin_linux32_H10.0.528_1.0rc8

I then edited my .bashrc file so that it now reads:

if [ -f /public/it/ncca-profile ]; then

source /public/it/ncca-profile

fi

#specify ls with colour

alias ls='ls --color'

export PATH=$PATH:~/bin:/public/bin:/usr/local/prman/bin:/usr/local/rstudio/bin

export HOUDINI_PATH="/nccamade/i7977054/HOT/hotbin_linux32_H10.0.528_1.0rc8/;&"

#initiate Houdini's Secondary Applications

cd /opt/houdini/; source houdini_setup_bash > /dev/null; cd;

And when I run Houdini and open any of the example files it gives me an error message "Bad node type found: ocean in obj/ocean"

I've tried running dsoinfo in the textport and Ocean doesn't seem to be there.

When I try 'echo $HOUDINI_PATH' I get a blank variable, so I'm assuming that I've set up something wrong in the bashrc file.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Gary

What happens if you do the export HOUDINI_PATH=' ... ' command on the command line before you run houdini (from the command line as well). I would normally source of the houdin_setup before I set HOUDINI_PATH but I just checked and that shouldn't be the problem. Are you sure your .bashrc is being run properly ? Also try doing ". ~/.bashrc" on the command line and see if HOUDINI_PATH is set.

-Drew

Edited by eloop

Hi Drew,

I tried running the export command from the terminal just before launching Houdini and it works great, thanks for that :-) Am I right in thinking that this is a temporary fix, and I would have to re-set that variable every time I restart my machine?

I tried running ~./bashrc and it gave me a 'permission denied' error, I chmod'd the bashrc and I have read and write permissions (I'm on a university computer so I don't have root access) so it might be some sort of permission error. I spoke to my course organisor who suggested editing the houdini.env file inside the Houdini folder, however that seems to overwrite some existing variable, giving me lots of errors when I try to boot Houdini.

This fix works in the short term however, and the plugin looks great. Great work guys and thanks for the help!

The problem is with your .bashrc so you should find your local unix guru and find out why the environment variable isn't being set.

BTW the way to source .bashrc from the command line is

> . ~/.bashrc

no need to chmod it.

I have a vague memory of having to set up gnome-terminal's profile to "run as login shell" to get my .bashrc and .bash_profile running properly. I'm mostly using OSX these days.

-Drew