Running SOP Solver on Static Objects

seth_ro18

Hi,

I have a DOP simulation in which I would like one of my SOP Solvers to affect *all* the geometry in my sim, even the static objects. Is this possible? Right now, it only "sees" and updates the active objects, which is generally desired, but not for this particular case.

Thanks!

On the Static Object DOP, try enabling "Use Deforming Geoemtry" to see if that works.

You can modify the geometry all you want on a Static Object but if "Use Deforming Geometry" is off, it won't update the geometry to the simulation that you are driving in to it.

Deforming Geometry usually don't work with SOP solver, because it is repeatedly reading geometry from SOPs and that way resetting Geometry generated by SOP solver on previous timestep

but what's probably happening in your case is that you are creating static RBD by unchecking Create Active Object on RBD object

actually the Active Value of DOP objects is what tells any solver whether to solve it or not, so if it's not active, the object will not be solved

the key is to create Static RBD Object, keep it's Activness to 1 and use SOP solver on that

staticRBD_SOP_solver.hip

and if you want to use the same sop solver on all objects, not only in static branch, you can use SOP solver in all branches you want but point all of them to one SOP Network which will be used to solve them all

like in this file

i am not sure by the expression in the sopnet1, it gives some warning, but it works (i just copied/pasted working network from SOP solver :) )

staticRBD_SOP_solver2.hip

Thanks, that's helpful. It answers my question that turning off the Active Value makes the solvers ignore the object completely. In my sim, I'm deactivating objects with the RBD Auto Freeze node, so I'll have to find a workaround with groups or such to keep those objects active for the particular solver.