Volume upRes and Initial state

tomhanks

I am trying to make a smoke sim and upRes it, but the upRes is not working with initial state.

What would be the correct way to use initial state with the upRes technique?

Thanks, sorry the bad english.

Edited by tomhanks

How can I know that the up res node is using my saved low res smoke?

I can see the option for the low res file loading my saved sim but it doesn`t seem that the upres nodes are making the calculation over my saved sim even when I put the switch to the upres option.

Does my problem make sense? Can anyone help me?

Sorry the bad English.

Edited by tomhanks

Reformulating the question:

I got a simple smoke sim then I add a upres to it.

After I had saved my low res sim to disk I want to see the up-res result of it so I switch the option in the sop to the up-res and I should see a higher version of my smoke right?

Question n. 1:

If I have my low res saved to disk the upres result, as far as I know, should calculate the final result using as base my low res cache so if I jump some frames toward the middle of the sim I should see houdini just calculate my up res to that frame without having to calculate previous frames for the low res, is that correct? (I tried to simplify more than I could my question).

Question n. 2:

Is the same proceeder applicable with the base sim using a initial state?

Thanks and sorry to bother again.

Edited by tomhanks

• 3 weeks later...

if you load your lo res .bgeo in to sops, use a blast to isolate the density (@name=density) on the upres solver specify initial data as sop path , and point it to your sop fields. You should be able to adjust the start frame on dops and tweak your upres noise anywhere in the middle of your sim with out waiting for the run-up.

When I put the SOP path corresponding to my bgeo low res file on the "Density SOP Path" options it works, now I can see my upres calculating my volume result as it should be.

It seems that the file option doesn't work at all, is it a bug?

Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I am afraid I'm not really that experienced and I'm kinda lost here. I didn't find a initial state field on the pyro solver but there is a desnity field path on the upres pyro object (I tried to set my lowres .bgeo path there but no success). Could someone give me a detailed guide as to how to use initial state with upres? Or maybe a simple example file?? I would be grateful. Thank you very much.

Manos