A Seamless Mesh With Facet

When you use a facet sop with cusp edge option it harderns the edge but it also makes double points like the unique points option.

If you do this to make an edge hard and then use the fuse sop to make it a seamless mesh it goes back smooth.

Is there a way to make hard edges without making more points ?

The method i was told is:

Cusp Polygons with Facet SOP and Post-Compute normals

AttribPromote SOP - Point Normals to Vertex

Fuse SOP

This has not worked for me and wondering how to solve this ?

Thanks

Edited by Lyonz

Hey,

I just tried this and I think it's just a viewport thing. The Houdini Viewport uses the point normals to display the geometry, but as soon as you render your scene the vertex normals are used correctly.

Cheers,

Dennis

Hey,

I just tried this and I think it's just a viewport thing. The Houdini Viewport uses the point normals to display the geometry, but as soon as you render your scene the vertex normals are used correctly.

Cheers,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I have rendered my work and still getting the same problem, I have attached a file to show what im on about. The area with the hole in the mesh has nasty black streaks until i cusp polygons but when i fuse the points back it makes dark areas again.

Seamless_Mesh.hipnc

you didn't promote anything with Attrib Promote, you need to fill in Original Name Parameter (N)

but you need to create N attribute first

to do that just check Post-Compute normals on facet sop

here is modified file

That is a very neat solution! I wasn't aware of the angle parameter on the Faced SOP. Promoting the point normal to vertex normal and than fusing the points again. I love it!