Fur moving without dynamics

DeehrBYU

I have a simple haircut going on. I realized I have done this wrong, because I created a separate hair template for the boy instead of using groups and just putting it on the boy head itself. So I will end up redoing it because it has animation on it.

Anyway, running into something weird and I would like to know the reason. When I rotate the "Hairpiece" node upside down (just at object level, not using any transform SOP or anything...) The hair falls down like there is some gravity attached to it. Does anyone know why this would be?

CHUCK_odForceHelp.hipnc

For anyone who is still curious, I emailed Derrick at SideFX who does the mastercalss fur tutorial and he said this:

The behaviour is due to the combed normal changes being applied to a different rest pose than when they were originally created. The skin geometry should provide a rest attribute so all edits can be transformed appropriately when you plan on applying any kind of animation to fur. This problem can be fixed by simply appending a Rest Position SOP to the SOP chain in /obj/HairPiece. With Houdini 11.0, the Fur Object will automatically handle this for you if you did not explicitly provide a rest attribute on the skin geometry.

Cheers,

Derrick

Thanks Derrick!