Fluid simulation

ambro

I wanted to know if there is a way to speed the simulation of fluids, using all available CPU as the current simulation uses only 50% or better still, send the process of calculation in the render fam.

I would also like to know if the procedure you propose can 'be applied to other dynamic cloth and particles.

Hello thanks

You can make the fluid container dynamically resizable if that's not already done.

That speeds up the sims dramatically :rolleyes:

have a look here :

for cloth and particles, I would wait for Houdini 11 that should be released shortly :lol:

Cheers,

Julien

I wanted to know if there is a way to speed the simulation of fluids, using all available CPU as the current simulation uses only 50% or better still, send the process of calculation in the render fam.

I would also like to know if the procedure you propose can 'be applied to other dynamic cloth and particles.

Hello thanks

Thank you,

actually I have already based my work pipeline without the box and I have to change it all to add the box.

And, please, what about my first question that was if it's possible to send a simulation cook on a render farm or, at least, to let the simulation take all pc resources.

Hey ambro

You can send the sim on a farm of course, but the only real gain

is that you can sim the lowres and upres at the same time.

It is also possible to split the sim on several machines if you have time look into it :

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1516&Itemid=216

for the PC resources usage, it really depends on the solver you're using.

The Pyro solver is pretty good at using resources as long as you throw

enough voxels at it and that you sim lowres and upres at the same time

but then you need more memory too...

I built my own solver that advect hires density with lowres velocity

from a lowres combustion model(all in one solver) and it's using a lot more CPU.

It's also using less nodes and it's a lot more basic too : that's helps :rolleyes:

I think it also depends on the microsolvers you use : Some are really fast, other a bit slower.

I would'nt worry so much about CPU usage, as long as the sim gets done quickly

- unless you are planning to fry some eggs on your PC :P

hope that's helpful :lol:

Thank you,

actually I have already based my work pipeline without the box and I have to change it all to add the box.

And, please, what about my first question that was if it's possible to send a simulation cook on a render farm or, at least, to let the simulation take all pc resources.