uprespyro Missing Data

gazm

Hi. I've created a billowy smoke simulation and have been working on the movement. However it did not create an uprespyro node so I have created the upres myself. I looked closely at another upres to see how it should link and what expressions are required within the AutoDopNetwork.

However, the uprespyro node within the AutoDopNetwork has a yellow and black error and within that node I can see there is a problem with the nodes get_lowresvel, get_lowrestemp and get_lowresfuel.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can link these values to my lowrespyro?

I'm quite new to all this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am self-tecahing Houdini as my lecturer is a Maya man and every time he looks at my smoke he keeps telling me to do a 'high detail solve'. I try to explain there is no such thing in Houdini but it doesn't seem to sink in...

Thanks

(In the file the nodes in question are lowrespyro and uprespyro0 in the obj layer and the pyro0group within the AutoDopNetwork. And yes I know my scene is messy and my naming conventions aren't very helpful...)

Shot 03.hip

Edited by gazm

Thank you for your quick reply but I am afraid my ignorance knows no bounds. I cannot see where "3:/vel" is inputted in the uprespyro0 node, forgive me if I'm missing the obvious here but where might I find this value?

Thanks again.

no problem gazm

it's in : /obj/AutoDopNetwork/uprespyro0/load_our_data/grab_from_dops

middle click on "Object 1". That evaluates the `chsop()` expression and transform it into ":3/vel"

can you see that ? :unsure:

Thank you for your quick reply but I am afraid my ignorance knows no bounds. I cannot see where "3:/vel" is inputted in the uprespyro0 node, forgive me if I'm missing the obvious here but where might I find this value?

Thanks again.

Thank you for the detailed reply Bunker, that problem is now solved. Unfortunately my upres sim still isn't displaying anything and I have a new error in the allfields node of the uprespyro0 node.

When I try a test render, all I can see is a grey outline of the source sphere and a strange grey sort of noise on the edge of the upres bounding box as can be seen in the attached jpg.

I hate to keep asking for help as I like to work things out for myself but right now I'm in over my head and no one at uni knows the first thing about Houdini...

Thanks again,

Morgan.

On a more positive note, I do now have a significantly better understanding of the mechanics of DOPs compared to even yesterday!

Shot 03.hip

post-5763-127957516363_thumb.jpg

The main problem here is that you have several pyro solvers in the same DOP network.

the lowrespyro/pyrofields is a Dop I/O node that imports the fields from "/obj/AutoDopNetwork"

regardless of the name of your Pyro object. it's going to grab whatever field it finds called

"density" for example, but that might not be the one you want. I disabled the other pyro objects

in your scene and everything work fine like this. If you really need several pyro object in

one scene, you need to import and merge your fields manually. This way you can specify which pyro

object you want to import. I created an example in /obj/lowrespyro

hope that's a bit more clear :lol:

Shot_03_fixed.hip

Thank you for the detailed reply Bunker, that problem is now solved. Unfortunately my upres sim still isn't displaying anything and I have a new error in the allfields node of the uprespyro0 node.

When I try a test render, all I can see is a grey outline of the source sphere and a strange grey sort of noise on the edge of the upres bounding box as can be seen in the attached jpg.

I hate to keep asking for help as I like to work things out for myself but right now I'm in over my head and no one at uni knows the first thing about Houdini...

Thanks again,

Morgan.

On a more positive note, I do now have a significantly better understanding of the mechanics of DOPs compared to even yesterday!

Thanks bunker, that's a massive help! So I guess the main thing to take away from this is to stick to one sim per scene for now for the sake of simplicity.

Thanks again.