lightning effect

haggi

Has anyone an idea if there exists some easy methods to create a directable lightning effect? Should be 3d, so no compositing solutions like afterEffects lightnings are allowed. I didnt use the l-systems very much until now, but maybe this could be a way to do it?

L-systems are one way indeed. I´ve tried something remotely similar in the past.

It will work but depending on the situation it won´t be flawless because you will use wire capture and wire deform to force the l-system into the shape of the curve that you want to animate, and that can be a bit of a hit or miss.

I would recommend you to go the route I didn´t go myself back then, and try to add some noise to a curve and create your system that way. It will require a bit of node fiddling ´til you find the system that works fine but it will probably be much more stable than the l-system version.

Also, beg to the gods for "Lisux" to come around and read this thread. With all the recent Iron Man 2 stuff he claims to be "a bit" into lighting effects :) But don´t trust him, he´s such a poser :lol:

Edited by Netvudu