how to blow up a lot of paper?

jiboren

hi everybody

i have a small project which need to blow a lot of papers from desk and wall,turn around like a tornado in the house then blow out from the window to outside and fall down to the ground,i tried copy stamp way to copy several papers to the particle,but i can't flow the shape of the papers to the motion direction of the wind,the paper should deform with the air direction,and when the paper fall down to the ground it should place there like a real paper,but each just stop rotate when the particle stick at the ground,i can use normal to make them lie there but it looks not like a realistic motion.

and also i tried cloth but it's very expensive because of so many papers,any idea?any suggestion welcome!

best.

Just a quick thought on this:

You could shape the motion of the papers by copystamping them to the particles (as you did), and THEN use the cloths for each piece of paper, constraint it to the relative point so it actually has the particle movement, but the cloth adds secondary motion to it to make it behave like paper, and when you want you could then turn off the constraints to make them just fly off on cloth.

This is still expensive calculation, but should give you more control on the movement rather than using cloth only.

The only thing is that i actually do not know how to set up the DOP objects so that for every copy, a cloth dop is used, and for every particle that drives that copy, a constraint is created. But if someone has better ideas or explainations on how to do that would be really appreciated.

Cheers

thanks Akabane!

i understand what your mean,just like what i did use wire pin/glue constraint ,usually did a curve in sop with animation and say roots group,then read into dopnet use wire object DOP node with use deform object parameter turn on,then append a wire pin/glue constraint check constraint to animation,so the wire will have the animation which did in sop before,but also can have simulation shape in dops.

yes just like your said,it's very expensive to use cloth in houdini,there are neerly 3000 papers in my scene,maybe i can divide them several parts,

did your guys still remember behind the scene of the day after tomorrow,there is one shot which the tornado swirl beside a tube like building,the glass broken and a lot of papers fly out from that building to outside in the air,a lot of paper fly turbulence with the wind,

maybe i can copy some turbulence paper on the particles in some shots which the paper not fall down just fly around,the shot which need to fall down the paper on the ground i can simulate some cloth paper,that's my plan.i will try,if your guys have other good idea,will appreciate.

thanks mawi,i have a good start.

cheers.