modify particle velocity by adding point SOP?

Guest ravin

I want to modify the "velocity" component of the particle using a point SOP. I tried going to the particle tab of the point SOP->add velocity and putting an expression but it seems to be having no effect.

I am attaching a very simple setup where I would want to modify the particles velocity.

thanks,

jitterParticle.hip

• 2 weeks later...

In your attached file you don't seem to have any velocity values going into your point sop. This is because the "use template point attributes" check box hasn't been ticked under the attribute tab on the copy sop. If you tick this you should then see that there are velocity values going into the point sop. Now you can use expressions or whatever to alter these values.

I have attached an altered version of your file with these changes in. If you play through a couple of frames and then do a spreadsheet on the copy1 node and the point1 node you will see that the velocity values are being changed by the point sop.

Cheers

Tony

jitterParticle_ALTERED.hip

I want to modify the "velocity" component of the particle using a point SOP. I tried going to the particle tab of the point SOP->add velocity and putting an expression but it seems to be having no effect.

I am attaching a very simple setup where I would want to modify the particles velocity.

thanks,

Note that this will not have any effect on particles motion/position.