Lutze

Hello erveryone.

I have a problem with rendering speed under linux. These are the sysem specs:

Dual Xeon Quad

470 GTX

12GB Ram

Ubuntu 10.04 -64

Windows 7 -64

When rendering under linux there is always a performance drop compared to windows 7. I just compared a scene today - 7 minutes for a still under Linux and 5 Minutes for the same project under windows. I noticed, that all 16 threads of the 8 cores are showing up in the system monitor under linux but they work with only 40-60 % while rendering. When I tell Houdini to use only 8 threads those threads work almost at 100 %, when increasing it to full 16 threads ... well again only 40-60% max. Under Windows all 16 threads work between 90 and 100% during the rendering as they should.

This Problem arises not only under Houdini but also when rendering with V-Ray under linux. There is also a apr. 50% performace loss compared to windows.

I would hate to switch back to windows as I feel a lot more comfortable under linux and the 470gtx seems to work al lot smoother under linux while handling big scenes.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem. Maybe a problem with Hyperthreading under Ubuntu (although in this case there wouldn´t be 16 threads recognized?).

Sven

Do not know if this will help but things i would test would be:

*Different distribution

*Different kernel

*Houdini version compiled with other gcc version but will probably not help as problems with v-ray also.

Hmmmm...

Just found out, that there seems to be core-scaling problem under newer versions of Ubuntu. Read in a forum, that the older 8.04 is far better in scaling multi-processor systems. Can anyone confirm this. Anybody running Houdini under a newer Ubuntu without having these speed problems?

Maybe I switch back to 8.04 just to see how it performs...

Hmmmm...

Just found out, that there seems to be core-scaling problem under newer versions of Ubuntu. Read in a forum, that the older 8.04 is far better in scaling multi-processor systems. Can anyone confirm this. Anybody running Houdini under a newer Ubuntu without having these speed problems?

Maybe I switch back to 8.04 just to see how it performs...

I am running under latest ubuntu 10.10. Unfortunately Dell was recently here and fudged up my nvidia graphics tho so can not run it atm but i can test when it gets fixed.

However i do not think you need to rollback that far. I would definitely just try a different kernel version or compile before going back to such old dist version.

I am running under latest ubuntu 10.10. Unfortunately Dell was recently here and fudged up my nvidia graphics tho so can not run it atm but i can test when it gets fixed.

However i do not think you need to rollback that far. I would definitely just try a different kernel version or compile before going back to such old dist version.

Hi Erik,

would be great if you could run a test when your graphics card is working again. At this moment I could not switch back to an older version because I need the system every day and can not afford to loose time installing/reinstalling. I think, as you said, using another kernel would be the way to go when I have some time again. Thanks again.

Sven