How to create shoreline waves???

crash0283

Hey guys

I was wondering how to create shoreline waves using particle fluids?? I need to create something that looks more on the lines with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LElxroJ2O-k. Thanks guys, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hi, crash, I have some ideas here,

First, there is a post in this forum which has discussed this topic

If you want to acquire the physically correct behavior, you may refer to the technique called "hybrid fluid" which combine the levelset and SPH methods to emphasize theirs advantageous simulation aspects and compensate each other's flaws.

In houdini I guess you can do it with traditional volumetric or new FLIP fluid combined with particle fluids.

As for how to simulate, you may refer to http://www.digitaltutors.com/09/training.php?cid=31&pid=406

this course demonstrate the idea which I believe can be transferred to houdini.

As for the rendering part, it's a whole new issue, in order to gain the realistic effect, we have to render tons of particles similar to rolling wave in the film "surf up"

It's a bit long way to go, hope all the information could help you and I also expect more ideas about this topic.

cheers

• 1 month later...

It's an old post but I thought this might be interesting. A long time ago when I first touched Houdini I tried a similar thing. Unfortunately it is incomplete and I forgot mostly what I was doing but I think the same thing could be implemented into HOT (I am trying now but I can't get the HOT vex nodes to work...). The idea is to measure the distance to the ground and use that to modify amplitude, phase and speed.

Perhaps somebody can help translating that into HOT?

mywave.hipnc

post-4013-129065257777_thumb.jpg

I managed to get the HOT VEX working by using a different compile of HOT (wish I could do that myself!).

It seems the vex node can for the most part not be changed on a per-point case. Only s and t seems to respond.

The link and images below show the result. If I could change phase, amplitude and frequency in the same way I am sure the waves would diffract around the rock.

Vimeo:

post-4013-129067965296_thumb.jpg

I managed to get the HOT VEX working by using a different compile of HOT (wish I could do that myself!).

It seems the vex node can for the most part not be changed on a per-point case. Only s and t seems to respond.

The link and images below show the result. If I could change phase, amplitude and frequency in the same way I am sure the waves would diffract around the rock.

Vimeo:

You could always go this way if you have a lot of time on your hands :)

/
...and then blend with HOT / shaders as you go off into the bg..

Vimeo:

why couldnt you just define several HOT wave-types and blend them with a point attribute? (ex file)

Hotblends.hip

why couldnt you just define several HOT wave-types and blend them with a point attribute?

The thinking is this: As the distance to an object (ground) decreases the wave slows, increases in amplitude, and shifts phase. This changes from point to point, so if I wanted to include that into the ocean wave it would have to be calculated for every point. Blending gives a nice result but does not create the ripples and patterns that an object in the path of a wave creates.

I tried a flip fluid version. It's hard to control and only suitable for small details, I think.

post-4013-129109495906_thumb.jpg