Making H11 as stable as possible

Hello,

Any suggestions to make H11 stable under Ubuntu (10.04). I am running it on an Intel MacBook Pro (2006, first or second Intel generation). So, probably I have an ATI 1600X graphics adapter.

I have all kinds of display problems under H11, the flipbook functions crashes Houdini and the mouse icon acts strange.

I am not looking for some heavy work, but at least I would like to make it as stable as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Not much of a suggestion but latest graphic drivers etc is probably as much as you can do. Also turning off compiz if its running usually helps alot.

Best thing is probably getting an nvidia card, but that is kinda hard with a laptop.

Thanks Erik,

The problem is that the ATI drivers included in the Ubuntu 10.04 are not good enough. I need to install the special closed drivers released by ATI. These are the Catalyst drivers. However, ATI/AMD announced that they are no longer supporting Radeon X1600 for the new Ubuntu compatible Catalyst package. I did some research and for a reference this is the result. I hope this will help anybody searching the similar topic in the future:

As it is at the moment, the latest Catalyst Package that supports Radeon X1600 (Macbook Pro) is 9.3

The latest Ubuntu, compatible with Catalyst 9.3 is Ubuntu 8.04.

So in theory, installing Ubuntu 8.04 and installing Catalyst 9.3 on that Ubuntu should provide a stable OpenGl environment.

I will try this soon, the only thing I do not know is, if Houdini 11 will run on Ubuntu 8.04

Any ideas?

Thanks Erik,

The problem is that the ATI drivers included in the Ubuntu 10.04 are not good enough. I need to install the special closed drivers released by ATI. These are the Catalyst drivers. However, ATI/AMD announced that they are no longer supporting Radeon X1600 for the new Ubuntu compatible Catalyst package. I did some research and for a reference this is the result. I hope this will help anybody searching the similar topic in the future:

As it is at the moment, the latest Catalyst Package that supports Radeon X1600 (Macbook Pro) is 9.3

The latest Ubuntu, compatible with Catalyst 9.3 is Ubuntu 8.04.

So in theory, installing Ubuntu 8.04 and installing Catalyst 9.3 on that Ubuntu should provide a stable OpenGl environment.

I will try this soon, the only thing I do not know is, if Houdini 11 will run on Ubuntu 8.04

Any ideas?

I do not think it will be a problem running with 8.04. From SESI page they seem to be supporting all the way back to 7.04.