Animated necklace (NO RBD)

Lyonz

Hello all I am wondering if someone could put me in the correct direction, I have created a chain and copied jewels to the points.

I was using the wire object node to simulate the movement before, with a weight expression of ( if($PT<2,40,1) ) so that one end would fall faster.

However I am wanting to animate the necklace but am not allowed to use RBD, is there an expression I could use to make the chain sway as it falls in the Z axis ? maybe over frames ? as it is meant to simulate as if it was underwater.

Or do I have to key frame all of it ???

THANKS IN ADVANCE

One interesting way I can think of is with my new favorite SOP - the ray SOP. You can use a grid with e.t. a mountain SOP and project the points of the chain on it. Then you can translate the object horizontally and use the lift value to let the chain fall down. Or - more straight - just the mountain SOP on the points and then with the offset value. Another way is transforming the points with CHOPS via the channel SOP. Of course there has to be a force causing waves, else there's no swaying.

One interesting way I can think of is with my new favorite SOP - the ray SOP. You can use a grid with e.t. a mountain SOP and project the points of the chain on it. Then you can translate the object horizontally and use the lift value to let the chain fall down. Or - more straight - just the mountain SOP on the points and then with the offset value. Another way is transforming the points with CHOPS via the channel SOP. Of course there has to be a force causing waves, else there's no swaying.

Thank you for replying I will test out these methods, at the moment I have been adding bones to the object. This would mean animating it all by hand which I am not keen on but may have to do this if no other methods work, I am wanting the simplest method.

Its annoying as I had a beautiful simulation using wire object :(

Thanks

Edited by Lyonz

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking into the spring sop and think that this will give me the best result. Like before all I am after is the chain getting dragged along the curve attached to a null and have it interact with collision objects. Basically as the null stops I am after it bunching up and slowly falling off again. I am trying to simulate it as if it is underwater and will look into linking it to the lattice sop to see if that helps.