how to procedurally extrude an edge?

Netvudu

hi there,

I suppose this is simple, but I´m really bad at modelling in Houdini as I usually do my modelling somewhere else...

I want to extrude an edge. I understand I could copy the edge and skin it, and that would work procedurally, of course. I can also select the edge manually and polyextrude it, but that´s not procedural, as AFAIK I can´t group edges, just primitives or points.

I´m really trying to cut on the number of nodes being used, in order to be quicker at this kind of stuff.

So far, avoiding the skin route (which takes 3 or more nodes) I achieved this with 3 nodes: an add node to create the edge between procedurally grouped nodes, the extrude operation, and a transform afterwards to rotate the resulting plane in the direction you want to.

Is there a better way to do this...I mean, is there an edge extrude operation with just one node that I can use on a procedurally selected group of points? I guess what I´m asking is the polyextrude SOP to admit point groups, not just primitive groups...

I used to read out a point group and wrote them in the group field with the 'p' prefix, via a python script. Actually there is a topic about this over at the SESI forums.

Today I avoid PolyExtrude and a view others when I want proceduralism, though it would be nice if it wasn't that way.

Cheers

Edited by LFX

• 1 month later...