Writing .Sim Cache Benefits

Hi all,

During my work on my firebomb shot ( ),but generally,

in every Heavy simulation I'm working on (Expecially fluids) I don't notice the advantages on writing out simulation

files at the end of AutoDopNetwork. It seems that the time to read the simulation from disk is greater or very simular

to the time to simulate! Any suggestions or workaround?

thanks in advance

Hi all,

During my work on my firebomb shot ( http://forums.odforc...12069-firebomb/ ),but generally,

in every Heavy simulation I'm working on (Expecially fluids) I don't notice the advantages on writing out simulation

files at the end of AutoDopNetwork. It seems that the time to read the simulation from disk is greater or very simular

to the time to simulate! Any suggestions or workaround?

thanks in advance

Read it into an empty DOP network.

Thanks!

It seems about 30% fast, not so much... :unsure:

Maybe it's normal cause of file size...

I don't know if you thought about this, but one of the big advantages of using .sim files is that the data doesn't have to be stored in memory. So that means that you have more memory for the actual computation and you can do heavier fx and more frames, plus that if you're simulation over night and the power fails or you machine runs out of memory or what ever, do don't lose everything you've simulated so far.

To take real advantage of this, turn of 'cache Simulation' and turn on 'Explicit cache'. The docs explain 'Explicit cache' but in short it writes out every frame of the DOP network. It does this only once, so it will never overwrite it. This comes in handy when your machine crashes because you can reboot and continue the simulation from the frame where it crashed without touching what happened before. If you do this though, you have to keep in mind that you have to delete these files when you update a parameter in the DOP network and want to recook the whole thing.

Is it possible to read in a sim, delete some data (i.e. small objects) and write it out again.

I'm thinking of a solution for complex sims, so that you can have a version used for real-time playback in the viewport, and a high detail one for render time.

I don't know if you thought about this, but one of the big advantages of using .sim files is that the data doesn't have to be stored in memory. So that means that you have more memory for the actual computation and you can do heavier fx and more frames, plus that if you're simulation over night and the power fails or you machine runs out of memory or what ever, do don't lose everything you've simulated so far.

To take real advantage of this, turn of 'cache Simulation' and turn on 'Explicit cache'. The docs explain 'Explicit cache' but in short it writes out every frame of the DOP network. It does this only once, so it will never overwrite it. This comes in handy when your machine crashes because you can reboot and continue the simulation from the frame where it crashed without touching what happened before. If you do this though, you have to keep in mind that you have to delete these files when you update a parameter in the DOP network and want to recook the whole thing.

Thank you for the answer!

My doubt was if it is normal that reading an heavy .sim files as fluid simulation takes so long...

Thanks!

It seems about 30% fast, not so much... :unsure:

Maybe it's normal cause of file size...