isoOffset "slicing" and ROP geometry question!

Akabane

Hey guys!

I actually have a pretty computationally intensive isooffset node (sampling 850+) and what I wanted to do was "slice" the isooffset into 2 or more boxes to render them separately in various "pieces" to put together after with a volumemix.

I managed to do that with a couple of volume mix nodes, the problem is that this solution inherits the resolution of the voxelgrid.

Example: i have a box which is 40x40x40 voxels.

After slicing it up in the X axis, i should have 2 volumes each with 20x40x40 right? But I still have 2 volumes 40x40x40.

How to address that?

And another thing!

This time is about the ROP Geometry node.

When I append it, it cooks the nodes before it and then exports the file...all while freezing my houdini session.

I remember that some time ago (but I may be wrong) using a ROP geometry node caused a "render bar" to appear, and there was performing all the cooking, without freezing up my houdini session (the little moving coloured sperms! :P)

Is there a way to get that back? I'd like to have the possibility to do that without having to open a new houdini session.

Thanks!

Akabane

would this work?

overriding the bounds of the isooffset so only the geo within the bounding box is evaluated

not sure about the ROP output thing, why not just render it in the console with hbatch?

edit: you'd want to be careful with padding so there isn't any at the slice edge or you will get unwanted overlap

isosplit_merge.hip

Edited by ikarus

Thanks Raymond.

I forgot to say that I also have some volume vop stuff happening to the whole volume, and i want to split it only for computational purposes.

In your way I will get my vop stuff recalculated for each slice, which is not good :(

By the way, is there a way to call a hbatch render from within houdini?

Thanks again :)

EDIT: Of course doing all the volumevops on the isooffset and THEN splitting doesnt make sense, since the whole volume has to be calculated in order to be split :P

Maybe creating a parallel empty volume with only the noise functions (encompassing the whole isooffset), rendering that, and then render the split isooffset, and finally adding the two slices together and then apply the noise?

Edited by Akabane

Hey guys!

I actually have a pretty computationally intensive isooffset node (sampling 850+) and what I wanted to do was "slice" the isooffset into 2 or more boxes to render them separately in various "pieces" to put together after with a volumemix.

I managed to do that with a couple of volume mix nodes, the problem is that this solution inherits the resolution of the voxelgrid.

Example: i have a box which is 40x40x40 voxels.

After slicing it up in the X axis, i should have 2 volumes each with 20x40x40 right? But I still have 2 volumes 40x40x40.

How to address that?

And another thing!

This time is about the ROP Geometry node.

When I append it, it cooks the nodes before it and then exports the file...all while freezing my houdini session.

I remember that some time ago (but I may be wrong) using a ROP geometry node caused a "render bar" to appear, and there was performing all the cooking, without freezing up my houdini session (the little moving coloured sperms! :P)

Is there a way to get that back? I'd like to have the possibility to do that without having to open a new houdini session.

Thanks!

Akabane

Use a volume mix node on blend with the blend set to 1, plug your high rez into the left side and the low rez into the right this will up rez your node at least in voxel count(volume blur with median set to .1 or something sometimes will give you better definitions playing those games). I would do this to all your file sourced geo to the highest voxel count in inorder to volume add them back to gether. Though you can just merge the volumes and not technically combined them it is easier this way, you can then shade them separately for density especially with diff voxel counts, I'm prefering that path at the momment. Make sure you output density as the voxel primitive name to get the shader to work.

The rop output works for me version 11.0.563 been doing that a lot lately.