Fractured by Fluids

Morbid

Hi all,

I'm trying to dynamic fracture an object when it is hit by a particle fluid. When a particle collides with the object it doesn't count as an impact.

I copied some metaballs to the particles of the fluid and used the metaball mesh as a magnetforce to fracture the object, but that doesn't seem to work. It does fracture but that is because of the impacts with the ground plane that occur when the fluid slightly moves the object.

Eventually I want control where the fracture starts depending on the force of the fluid.

How would you approach this problem?

Thanks for the help. :)

dynamic_fracture_by_fluid.hipnc

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that the impact data between particles and rbd is stored in the rbd object in Feedback/Impacts rather than impact data between rbd objects which is stored in Impacts/Impacts. The Voronoi Fracture Configure Object DOP is uses the Impact/Impact data to fracture the object.

My idea was to fetch the Feedback/Impact data and apply it to the same object as Impact/Impact data so the collision between particles and rbd would fracture the rbd object. But that is not working, it is the first time I'm using the fetch and apply data node, so maybe I am doing something wrong? I also don't know why the output of the fetch data is grey instead of green (data).

Any suggestions or other methods to achieve the same goal? :)

post-4272-129129560276_thumb.jpg

I found out that the impact data between particles and rbd is stored in the rbd object in Feedback/Impacts rather than impact data between rbd objects which is stored in Impacts/Impacts.

There is an option on the Fracture tab of the RigidBodySolver called "Allow Fracturing From Feedback" which should cause it to take into account Feedback impacts as well.