Manual multithreading (of poly reduction, and just in general)

danw

Hey all,

Something I come up against time and again in Houdini is when I want to run a single-threaded OP on a whole mass of non-dependant frames. In this case, poly reduction of a sequence of meshes. As it stands, I have to set it going using a lonely single core of the 8 I have available, and it's using less than 1/8 of the available RAM.

I'd expect if I had a graph of 8 poly reduce nodes with separate file read OPs set to different frame ranges, and some kind of render-merge downstream, that it might run all the paths simulaneously.

Alas, it seems it'll still just run through the entire graph one node at a time.

Is there any way to do this? Besides setting off a bunch of separate jobs with houdini-batch (I'm a little license-limited here, which is to say 1 :-))

As an aside, anyone know of any fast and effective poly reduction tools that aren't too hard to integrate into a houdini/mantra pipeline?

What you are thinking of is known as parallel chain cooking since all the network streams would in essence be parallel and could be worked on separately. It's not possible in Houdini right now but it's definitely something SESI is looking to do, along with multithreading in general.

What you are thinking of is known as parallel chain cooking since all the network streams would in essence be parallel and could be worked on separately. It's not possible in Houdini right now but it's definitely something SESI is looking to do, along with multithreading in general.

Darn... as I suspected. Hope it comes along soon... this would make Houdini demonically fast in some cases.

Anyway, as an alternative... can multiple instances of hbatch run on one machine using only a single license? :-P

Darn... as I suspected. Hope it comes along soon... this would make Houdini demonically fast in some cases.

Anyway, as an alternative... can multiple instances of hbatch run on one machine using only a single license? :-P

I believe so. It def does with hmaster. I'll open 3 or 4 and render stuff off each part doing a sequence, esp geometry/volume cacheing. It seems like most of the time one core will pick up one version of houdini. Graham would know better.