Convert objetcs to particles

rohandalvi

Hi,

I have a small question. In max there is a way to take a bunch of objects and convert them to particles. You can do it via a script or through the Particle flow toolbox 2 plugin. I believe thinking particles also does this.

The general idea is to create a particle at the centre of every object and then assign that piece of geometry to that particle. So i can use something like voronoi fracture script and then convert the individual pieces to particles.

How is this possible in Houdini. I am sure it can be done, but sadly I am not into scripting. Even in max I had downloaded the script, nowadays I just use PFLOW toolbox 2 ( it has a ready made node to exactly what i explained). I understand the concept but I lack the knowledge to actually write the script. Or if it's possible only through nodes.

Any help will be most appreciated.

with regards

Rohan Dalvi

I can't fully understand what are you trying to achieve.

If you want to convert your object to particles, you have a bunch of options, I'll post one here:

Take your input geometry

IsoOffset it, mode to "Fog" and up the sampling so the volume catches all the details you need.

Append a Scatter node with the number of particles you want your geometry composed of.

Append a Popnetwork, pipe in the first input the scatter node, dive inside, create a source pop, and put inside the number of particles birth "$NPT", and use impulse birthing only on the first frame.

Then you can use all your POPs to drive the particles.

-------------------

If instead you want to assign a geo to a particle, you can do it throu a copySOP.

Create your particle system and do all the pop goodness

After that, pipe the popnet in the second input of a copysop, and your input geometry in the first input.

This way you'll have a copy of the input geometry at the center of each particle, and you can decide to scale it, move it etc...based on the particle properties.

-----------------

If that's not what you asked for, sorry, I didn't understand your question :P

thanks for the prompt reply. But thats not what i want.

Let me make it simpler. Lets say you have a box. with 10 segs in x,y&z axis. I use it as a Particle source. Then in POPS i emit particles from the centre of each primitve using the SOURCE POP. and i keep the particle count the same as the primitive count. So basically i have a particle at the centre of every primitive. Now I apply it wind.

Now come back to SOP level. I apply FACET SOP to the Box and use unique points to separate the box into individual primitives. Now I want these primitives to move based on the movement of the particles.

So to expand this problem, we can use any geometry, even a human head or a car. emit particles form the primitive centres and then attach the individual faces to move with the partcile that is born at the centre. So effectives you can have a car blown away like particles.

I hopr that explains it better

How can I do this.

with regards

Rohan Dalvi

Oh I just saw Emanuele's links there. That method is better than the one I posted. It is very similar but I used an expression instead and get a weird scaling effect (I don't understand why).

Oh well, it was a late night idea. Never trust those.

Edited by Macha