Tron inspired animation

Erik van der Tier

Hi,

A while ago I worked on a Tron Legacy inspired animation. As I try to do most of the time, I've started a blog sequence about the work I did on this: http://ow.ly/3srcY

I'll be doing some breakdowns on how I did the fx work on this, which was all done in Houdini. I tried to post this in the 'Final work' forum, but wasn't able to... anyway, I'm planning on extending the sequence to include a bike crash so it could be seen as a 'wip' anyway...

Cheers,

Erik

Very nice! It looks neat and clean. The one thing I would say is that you should make the animation a bit snappier, but perhaps you are aiming for a retro feeling. ;)

Thanks!

Actually the task was to make it as precisely the same as the original vfx demo for Tron Legacy as possible. So I ended up matching the animation fairly closely in the time available, at least for the bike animation. I didn't do the final character animation (only a rough first version). The ground does move a bit on the slow side I must agree. To be honest... I was really happy to get this job done with a satisfied client, while wishing for just a little more time (say a week) to get it just a bit better... but then again, this was 'only' a test and there's never enough time isn't there...

Edited by Erik van der Tier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great job on this - very interesting to see how you put this together. I did something similar for a cgforums fx comp a few months back, the character animation looks like crap, but the rez effect came out kind of cool. You can see the whole thing in context here

I ended up making the rez effect a DA and set it up to accept pretty much any kind of geometry to apply the effect to. However I didn't get anywhere near as close as you did in terms of the final effect.

Thanks! Looks cool. My stup is fairly tool ready as well. I've seriously starting wrapping them in HDA's now, as you can see in my latest blog post.

Cheers!

Great job on this - very interesting to see how you put this together. I did something similar for a cgforums fx comp a few months back, the character animation looks like crap, but the rez effect came out kind of cool. You can see the whole thing in context here

I ended up making the rez effect a DA and set it up to accept pretty much any kind of geometry to apply the effect to. However I didn't get anywhere near as close as you did in terms of the final effect.

• 3 weeks later...