Compiling Problem Mac OS 10.6.4

Hi,

I'm trying to compile SOP_Star.C and unfortunately, it is failing to compile. I'm running Mac 0S 10.6.4 and I've installed Xcode 3.2.5. My Houdini build is 11.0.581. I've tried uninstalling Houdini and reinstalling it, but that doesn't seem to help. When I try to compile SOP_Star.C here's what I get:

Workstation4:Resources michaelmcneff$ cd $HFS/toolkit/samples/SOP

Workstation4:SOP michaelmcneff$ hcustom SOP_Star.C

Making SOP_Star.o and /Users/michaelmcneff/Library/Preferences/houdini/11.0/dso/SOP_Star.dylib from SOP_Star.C

/var/folders/8L/8LewdpRpGNKMbvCGnvcvpU+++TI/-Tmp-//ccpkU4ks.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: SOP_Star.o

Compile failed

Workstation4:SOP michaelmcneff$

I'm new to Houdini and I don't have programming experience (I've only used the terminal window a handful of times), so if you can put your answers in layman's terms I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Michael

Hi,

I'm trying to compile SOP_Star.C and unfortunately, it is failing to compile. I'm running Mac 0S 10.6.4 and I've installed Xcode 3.2.5. My Houdini build is 11.0.581. I've tried uninstalling Houdini and reinstalling it, but that doesn't seem to help. When I try to compile SOP_Star.C here's what I get:

Workstation4:Resources michaelmcneff$ cd $HFS/toolkit/samples/SOP

Workstation4:SOP michaelmcneff$ hcustom SOP_Star.C

Making SOP_Star.o and /Users/michaelmcneff/Library/Preferences/houdini/11.0/dso/SOP_Star.dylib from SOP_Star.C

/var/folders/8L/8LewdpRpGNKMbvCGnvcvpU+++TI/-Tmp-//ccpkU4ks.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: SOP_Star.o

Compile failed

Workstation4:SOP michaelmcneff$

I'm new to Houdini and I don't have programming experience (I've only used the terminal window a handful of times), so if you can put your answers in layman's terms I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Michael

I was able to solve this issue with some help from the sidefx forums. It turns out that the problem was that I was unable to write to the Houdini.frameworks directory and its sub-directories.

To solve it I went to /Library/Frameworks and copied the folder Houdini.framework to a folder on my desktop called "mine". Then I opened up the Terminal wan ran chmod -R 777 <path to "mine"> This changed all the permissions of the directories and sub-directories to read-write that are in the "mine" folder. Then I took my new read-write Houndini.framework folder from my desktop and replaced the original Houdini.framework folder with my new read-write enabled one.

Then I ran SOP_Star.C but I got an error. The error said that it couldn't find the directory /Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/11.0.581/Resources/Frameworks

So I just created a folder named "Frameworks" in my "Resources" folder. Then I ran SOP_Star.C and it finally worked.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but I ran into the same problem and found another solution. Not sure if it is 'correct' but it works

First I created the necessary Houdini environment variables from houdini_setup_bash into my .profile

Then:

>sudo -i

>hcustom thisorthatfile.C

And also, the newer versions of Xcode don't install the command line tools by default, so you have to download them to get it to compile.

Edited by Macha