exr probs

I keep having this problem with Houdini that if I render out with exr extensions that some images are missing, or empty, otherwise corrupt or stalling the renderer. I've had that on every machine I ever tried (all windows, various flavours).

Has anybody else experienced this?

Hey Macha,

We render out literally 1000s of exr files here on Linux and generally have no problems at all.

At home on my Mac I have occasionally had some exrs end up as 0kb files, but that's pretty sporadic and fairly rare.

We find we have to set the exrs to render as "ZIP, Single scanline" so that nuke reads them correctly, and we have a linear workflow so our files are usually 32bit as well.

Do you have any special permissions settings that may be causing the issue?

On Linux it can certainly cause headaches and prevent files from being written, but as we use Rush, we usually get a decent error report if that's the case.

Anyway, hope you get to the bottom of this and that this info is of some use!

Matt.

Thanks Matt

Perhaps it is related to the compression. There should not be a permissions problem. The problem seems quite random but it never happens with pic files.

I wonder, does anybody know how to use the shell rop to batch convert pic to exr?

Or would it be possible to run a post-render script in the mantra rop to convert the pic to exr? How?

Edited by Macha

A wild wild guess but I noticed something similar when network rendering in such a way that ifd's are being generated and submitted at rate slower than they render. In that case I get similar random (and machine independent) blank frames.

I wonder if there is something in mantra that pics up a render before it is fully ready? And for some reason exr is more prone to that (compression?)

Edited by Macha