Displacement maps

m89

hey guys,

basically i have been having some issue with adding a displacement map to the models. it seems as though the displacement is on top of the texture, and you can no longer see the textures. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I am considering baking the the displacement on to the geometry instead, but not to sure how that works? Would really appreciate any help i can get!

thanks

hey guys,

basically i have been having some issue with adding a displacement map to the models. it seems as though the displacement is on top of the texture, and you can no longer see the textures. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I am considering baking the the displacement on to the geometry instead, but not to sure how that works? Would really appreciate any help i can get!

thanks

Do you have a hip file or image? It would seem your disp is set too large for your texture stretching out your UVs, or you could not have the appropriate UV coord hooked up? Are you using a mantra surface or is it a custom shader? If you are stretching the disp beyond the uvs, then I would model to a little higher detail, and use a combo of disp, and normal maps. Disp for the larger details and normals for the fine details. This is the best method I know of. Also you can try and compensate with your UVs so if you know they are gona stretch you can add more detail into there. If the geo is double sided and the normals are pointing wrong you bottom shell could pop up above the other.

As for baking in your disp, I can't say I know the equivalent to maya's or max's to houdini since I haven't done it in there before, but you can use point sop with a pic() or text() function to call the color from a cop sop or from file into the cd channel, and then with a vop sop and a disp along normal node push out the normals. This isn't that great since you need a lot of points to displace to get fine detail, and houdini displacement shader are way more efficient than maya's and max's. But if you want you can always disp bake in their program and bring it back in via .obj.

dispBake.hip

• 3 weeks later...