attaching wires to RBD fractured objects - strange behavior

brokenpixel

greetings all.

i am working on a simulation that uses fractured RBD and wire objects. i am attaching wires to multiple shapes and using the apply relationship DOP to keep the end points of the wires connected to the RBD objects as they break apart and move around. my scene is exhibiting some strange behavior as some of the wires stay connected to their respective objects and some snap to the origin immediately when the simulation begins. one of my anchor DOP's that i am using is giving the error "constraint has a bad object reference" yet some of the wires are working the way i want them to. i have attached a .hip file and would appreciate any insight to my problem !

thank you.

scott

fractured_wires_22.hip

post-1153-129625405305_thumb.png

There's something wrong with your constraints. You use the object "ring" but if you look into your details view, there's no such object (they are called piece* instead). But even so, if I remember correctly the name should be something stamped from the apply relationship dop. Some kind of variable.

Sorry to be so vague. If I have a little time today I'll look into it.

Edited by Macha

hello macha

thank you for taking a look at this for me ! i appreciate the schooling on how to properly use the apply relationship DOP in this situation. just getting my head wrapped around the world of DOP's and this is a big help forward in gaining a better understanding of how things work.

much obliged.

best,

scott

greetings all

as i take macha's .hip with the fixes to my original problem and attempt to incorporate it into my actual project i have stumbled upon some other issues. i have attached an new .hip illustrating the problem.

if i try to connect a wire to a different point number each different object i run into problems again. i added 2 variables to the applyrel DOP in an attempt to pull out this point per object (each of these points is in a group called "connectorPoint") and am stamping it into the point number parameter of the connectorPoints Anchor DOP - but to no avail...

out of the four pieces represented here - the wires stay connected to two of them. however on the two objects that retain their connection to the wires on frame 2 the wire end point immediately jumps to a different point on the object than the one that i have defined as the connector point.

thank you again for any and all assistance !

best,

scott

wire_relationship_06.hip